There’s never been a more exciting time to join United Airlines! We’re on a path towards becoming the best and largest airline in the history of aviation and have made huge strides in the areas of employee engagement, customer service and experience, environmental sustainability and diversity, equity and inclusion.
Today, United has over 23,000 active flight attendants. With the unique ability to see the world while working, it’s no surprise that flight attendant jobs are highly desired. We do not require special schooling or a college degree for this job and you will be fully trained by United.
Travel: Fly around the world on United for free and bring your loved ones!
Outstanding Benefits: 401(k), health/dental/vision insurance and an Employee Assistance Plan for you and your family. Paid time off for sick and vacation. A payment plan is available to purchase initial uniform and luggage.
Starting pay of $28.88/hour with top of base scale at $67.11/hour: Seniority based pay raises increases and additional compensation for language skills, lead positions, and international trips.
Outstanding training: To start your career, you will begin with 6.5 weeks’ long training in Houston, TX learning United safety and customer service standards. Following the successful completion of this training, we will gladly welcome you aboard as a full-time employee and you will be assigned to one of our seven hubs – Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco, Washington Dulles, or one of our other flight attendant base locations (relocation funds not provided). United provides a $140/week per diem, along with accommodations, breakfast and lunch during training.
Inflight Crew member proficiencies:
Safety First: Ensure the highest levels of safety.
A “People-First” demeanor: Ability to adapt/respond to different types of customer-facing scenarios. A passion to serve with optimism and positivity. Direct engagement with customers through outstanding interpersonal skills, good judgment and ability to resolve issues with understanding, compassion, and grace. Influence customer loyalty through excellent service. Represent United with pride and distinction.
Flexibility: With the most comprehensive route network in the world, United’s flight attendants are available for global assignments 24/7, including nights, weekends, holidays, and extended hours. You will fulfill reserve assignments on short notice and be away from your base for days at a time. Dependability and timeliness are critical to success in this role and to operating our schedule and meeting customer expectations.
Team Player: Consistent track record of working independently as well as a part of the team.
Turn dreams into reality: Have fun, travel the world, make new friendships, explore new cultures, craft memorable experiences for every customer, every flight, every day.
Qualifications and Requirements include:
- 20 years of age or older at time of application
- High school diploma or equivalent; 2 or more years of college preferred
- Experience in service industry (such as customer, retail, hospitality, food, aviation, safety, social service, healthcare/medical position or military)
- Effective communication is crucial in the event of high-stress situations such as aircraft evacuation, security threats, delays, medical emergencies, severe weather conditions, and turbulence.
- Professional appearance, excellent grooming standards, and willingness to follow uniform, hair, tattoo and piercing guidelines
- Ability to proficiently operate electronic devices (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) for the completion of required tasks
- Current physical possession of valid U.S. passport or foreign passport with applicable visas and eligibility to travel globally without restrictions. Your passport must be in good condition and have at least 18 months of remaining validity at the time of application. Having applied for a passport or waiting for a renewed passport is not sufficient to meet this requirement. There may be extensive wait times to receive a passport and you must have one in your possession prior to employment as a Flight Attendant.
- English language proficiency; second languages such as Hebrew, Hindi, Dutch, Italian, Greek, Japanese and German are an asset.
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, bend, stoop, stretch, reach, lift heavy objects (such as luggage to overhead bin or window exit) and push and pull beverage cart (up to 250 lbs.)
- Ability to vertical reach at least 82 inches in order to obtain safety-related equipment
- Ability to sit in an assigned jump seat with seatbelt and shoulder harness fastened
- Expectation to serve and/or sell food and beverages in diligent and professional manner
- Flight attendant trainees must successfully demonstrate an evacuation drill in the water (pool) during training.
- Please be advised that the above is not the official overview of qualifications/requirements of the position. Other requirements as set forth in the Flight Attendant job description (see link below).
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Must be willing to complete pre-employment DOT drug screen, comprehensive background checks, fingerprinting, and vision/hearing tests
- Must be able to pass DOT/FAA pre-employment and randomized drug screens which include screens for marijuana, cocaine, opiates, amphetamines, etc. Medical marijuana is prohibited due to the safety-sensitive nature of the Flight Attendant position.
- Must be able to pass a 10-year background history, including criminal background check. Your background history must not prohibit travel to or from anywhere United flies. For example, Canada has a strict inadmissible classification for DWI/DUI charges including misdemeanors. If you have been on probation or convicted of a DWI/DUI within the last 10 years, the Canadian government will not allow you to travel to and from Canada unless you have already received a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) from the Canadian government which will allow you to continue your work duties for a temporary period of time.
What you receive for delivering your best
- United is pleased to offer employees a competitive compensation package including industry leading pay, exceptional benefits, and travel privileges.
- Additional compensation for language skills, lead positions, and international trips
- Competitive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k), vacation, and sick time
- Flight privileges: you, your family, and your friends can fly anywhere in the world on stand-by
- United offers inclusive uniform standards where our employees feel welcome to be their authentic selves at work and celebrate their individuality.
- United puts safety and cleanliness at the forefront of the travel experience for employees and customers.
- During training, United provides a $140/week per diem, along with accommodations, breakfast and lunch. Successful training graduates will receive a $1,000 bonus.
- A payment plan is available to purchase initial uniform and luggage.